Wednesday, 14 January 2015

In the act of it.

Months can go without writing on a blog it seems. In my case anyway. I used to do it more. I've been spending time consumed with traveling, working, writing another book, scripts and short stories so I almost forgot that I actually had a blog, until somebody kindly reminded me. Although I'm not sure of the blog's purpose anymore.

Figured that I should post something though, to keep the spirit of the blog alive, it was what encouraged me to finish my first book, Kingdom of Scars, after all. So I've been asked recently on a few occasions to put up some more stuff. I contemplated something more important, commentaries with my opinion on certain events, but in the end decided to put a poem I wrote a little bit ago. I get asked about poetry, and its liberating to put stuff up here. If you don't like it I'll probably cry a little bit and then forget about it. Or something.

Anyway, another poem. About stuff.

"In the act of it."

He wore his body well.
Like he was always supposed
to be that size.
Strong, heavy, gnarled.
A boxer who was
never supposed to be young.

Curling his lips upwards
into a playful smirk
he never stopped
jesting.
Maybe he was afraid
to be boring.

His eyes were always moving
taking in everything
but noticing nothing.
It was his world
that he existed within
and anybody else was circumstantial.

I grabbed him once.
Felt the surprising strength
hidden beneath his 
flesh. 
He was a big man 
with hard uncertain movements.

The lights shone,
reflecting the self importance
in his eyes.
Camera rolled, and
his bulk desired complete ownership 
of the room.

'ARRRRGH'.
He roared. Guttural.
He wanted the world to shake.
In his head it probably did.
But it was like anything else,
it was just was and then it wasn't.

The actor's lot
in fraught with contradictions,
the fear of being forgotten,
the desire to be loved
for nothing real.
A waif of time.

Watching him I considered
myself.
Was I the same?
Probably.
Did it matter?
I was silent upon myself.

Then I stood out of the
chair.
Embraced the lights,
and screamed my own
guttural roar,
expecting somebody to care.


My debut novel Kingdom of Scars available now in Ireland, and on amazon and Poolbeg websites with USA and UK release later this year.

http://www.poolbeg.com/kingdom-of-scars.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1781999511/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-5313651-9040639






23 comments:

  1. I do care..
    Thank you for your words Eoin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound and insightful as always, Eoin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do care and you are loved. Your poetry captivates the mind and resonates in the heart.
    Or as Voltaire said "Poetry is the music of the soul, and above all, of great and feeling souls." Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are twins, I also wonder then flick my hair and roar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like to have that sparkle of hope that my review reminded you of blogging again. If not, don't tell me and just let me keep believing it. The fact that you're not on here much anymore is a sign you're keeping busy, which is awesome because I always look forward to your work with much anticipation and loads of joy. As for the purpose of this blog? Don't think I only speak for myself saying we love reading and learning about the projects you support and things involved getting films shot, edited, released, ... too.

    Thank you for posting this (damn, do I regret getting that poem perk now). If you ever find the time (and guts) to publish them, please do. Your skill is touching hearts Eoin. Don't stop sharing it with us because I'm not ready to stop supporting you yet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write so vividly at times Eoin. As I began, it was just a story, nothing too special but still intriguing, so read on.Then you get to 'The actor's lot
    in fraught with contradictions" Wow. That's the insightful "guttural" writing we've come to expect. It jumped out at you and smacked you in the face, figuratively, of course, but it was all perfectly written to drawn you in and pull at the consciousness. Well done Eoin. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is swings and roundabouts of opportunities and ideas. You'll get back to your blog at some point. I miss it when you don't blog though. I love the way you write. It inspires me to try and write better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know much about blogging and what it's for, but if this is it then I'm impressed! I certainly don't know anything about writing or much of anything for that matter, but I am mesmerized by your poetry and how you convey your thoughts on paper. What I do is read a lot...when I can. Whether you continue to blog (I hope you do) or not, this has been a pleasurable read. Thank you for leading me here and for sharing your thoughts/poetry/stories. You have captured my attention. I have no doubt you will continue to write and attain the dream of becoming an author. I think you have already achieved it. You are indeed an intriguing man Eoin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This proves why you're my 3rd favorite person on the planet (after my kids). Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If and when your novel become available in Swedish stores (which I hope) I'll be one of the first to purchase it. Or if I go to the UK/U.S, whatever comes first :)
    You're such an inspiration and I hope you will continue to blog, but if not, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, poems and so on with us. I'll continue to follow you on your destined journey to become great (er).

    ReplyDelete
  11. After the very first poem of yours which I read, this is my favourite. It reads so fluidly, conveying a strong image of an actor whose presence fills the room and screen; one who is used to being lauded and perhaps has been affected by the praise. Of course, if he is not fictional, I wonder who he might be! You mention the 'desire to be loved for nothing real'. If it is acting you mean here, then I would argue that acting is an art form which, for a moment, HAS to be real if it is any good! I applaud any actor who makes me believe them and helps me escape reality. I understand the fickleness of the industry, however, any if a performance gives me the escape 'hit' I seek, they will never be a 'waif of time'. Not to me. I have a list. And that performance will be there on celluloid, or in the ether, or preserved by technology we haven't even invented yet, forevermore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, won't get your book, mostly because I'm absolutely not interested in the topic for the time being - your next project seems much more interesting to me. Your poetry, though, I think, is much better than your prose (that on the blog definitely needs editing) - so, if you published poetry, I'd go for that. It's very evocative, puts clear pictures in the mind, like a movie. (The imagery of your movies is also great, and your comments & watching you are very enjoyable - but please refrain from commenting politics; world is full of that already & not any better for it. If any, do/support good documentaries, tweet about good projects - as you already do).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Just wow. Reminds me of Pablo Neruda. Not sure why. He just seemed to write about love though. This is ...intense. Ever thought of publishing your poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your poems and the things you have written. Well done Eoin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I generally avoid poetry because I expect it to be flowery, but I really liked and connected to it. I love reading and writing, but I always have trouble creating my own worlds. Thanks for encouraging me to stick with it. Can't wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how you have captured a moment and made the act of acting something visceral - awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! I casually found out your blog and I read this poem as first thing. I was speechless thanks to your way to made the act of acting a visceral and passionare thing. Well done!
    I "met" you for the first time on "The night shift S1" on air on Italian TV and I decided to know more about you.
    I think the next step will be buying your novel without waiting for an italian version!!!
    Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Bravo!
    Very intense!
    Eoin, did you know "Fernando Pessoa", portuguese writer! Probably one of the largest and most complex poet / writer of all time ! I think you'll love it!
    Greetings from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a marvellous artist you are!
    I'm in love with your writing, with your way of acting, your ideas. I've adored you since the first time I saw you in Merlin: you captured me and I'll never deny I love to have been captured by you. A trap of freedom.
    You've a big heart, your writing evocates perfect feelings... So damn clear and touchful. I'm waiting that day in which I'll see one of your books in an italian library, I will know that even more people will comprehend how wonderful you are.
    Never stop writing,
    never stop believing.

    Lisa Sottana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Writing is a gift. You have that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You inspire me to write my own novel.

    ReplyDelete